- Deconstruct and describe the basic elements of film and television language.
- Differentiate between a visual text's form and content.
- Execute close-readings and interpretations of visual texts.
- Engage critically on topics of representation (e.g. race, gender, class, etc.).
- Identify the context to which a particular film/visual text belongs (for e.g. what national or transnational tradition, or what key movement, etc.).
- Distinguish approaches to the study of media (for e.g. auteur studies, genre studies, reception studies, national vs. transnational lens, etc.).
- Engage effectively with critical/theoretical readings by integrating them into their own argumentative essays and/or oral/visual presentations.