Statement of Student Learning Outcomes for the Program:
- Students will be able to deconstruct and describe the basic elements of film and television language.
- Students will differentiate between a visual text’s form and content.
- Students will be able to execute close-readings and interpretations of visual texts.
- Students will be able to engage critically on topics of representation (e.g. race, gender, class, etc.)
- Students will be able to identify the context to which a particular film/visual text belongs (for e.g. what national or transnational tradition, or what key movement, etc.)
- Students will distinguish approaches to the study of media (for e.g. auteur studies, genre studies, reception studies, national vs. transnational lens, etc.)
- Students will engage effectively with critical/theoretical readings by integrating them into their own argumentative essays and/or oral/visual presentations.